The crypto space has seen a massive hike in adoption since the world of blockchain has opened doors for not only finance to see new inclusions but also spaces for digital creators. The crypto market has various pockets that give out options for earning crypto tokens. To name a few, you can earn tokens by staking, investing, mining, and so on. But, the blockchain space is not only about money anymore. You can explore digital arts in the form of NFTs and also play games to earn crypto tokens! Yes, you got that right. Play games and earn crypto tokens!
To get a hold of what these play and earn crypto games are, let us take a quick look at what decentralized gaming is, shall we?
What is Decentralized Gaming?
Differing from traditional gaming, crypto gaming assets do not live on a centralized server. Instead, the players own the items they acquire while playing the crypto games. These include XP, weapons, and skins. But instead of losing the in-game assets when a player stops playing a game, they can trade with other players. Their assets can either be sold or taken by the players themselves.
With blockchain gaming, players and developers have onboarded the same side. None controls the outcome of the games and anyone can analyze the code used in most of the blockchain-based games. This transparency translates to a voting system, where if a developer adds an update and the community does not like that, the game can then be split and have different versions built.
What Are Play to Earn Crypto Games?
Staying true to its name, play-to-earn (or P2E) crypto games involves earning crypto tokens by playing online games. The steps to earn the token usually include making or earning in-game currency by carrying out various quests, achieving victory in battles, and completing other kinds of challenges or tasks that are assigned. After the completion, the players can usually exchange the in-game currency for Bitcoin, Ethereum, or another token on a decentralized exchange.
The funds or crypto tokens earned via playing can either be transferred to a crypto wallet or can be used to buy other in-game items. They can also be used to buy NFTs or non-fungible tokens. An interesting fact, in some of these games NFTs are the in-game currency. What does this mean? The players who can claim ownership of these in-game items can either sell or trade them.
One of the reasons for this rapid growth of the P2E industry is that the financial benefits of these online crypto games are a huge incentive for its players. These projects are clubbed under an umbrella known as GameFi; gaming + decentralized finance (or DeFi).
Top 5 Best Play to Earn Crypto Games of 2022
|Game||Axie Infinity||Gods Unchained||Thetan Arena||Splinterlands||Pegaxy|
|Genre||Creature Battler||Trading Card Game||MOBA||Trading Card Game||Horse Racing Game|
|Free to Play||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Platform||PC / Mac / Mobile||PC / Mac||PC / Mobile||PC / Mac||PC / Mac / Mobile|
|Blockchain||Ronin / Ethereum||Ethereum / Immutable X||BNB Chain||Hive||Polygon|
|Tokens||AXS, SLP||GODS||THC, THG||SPS||VIS, PGX|
Additional Read: How to Play and Earn with Axie Infinity
Top 5 P2E Games Right Now
- Axie Infinity: It is one of the most well-known play-to-earn crypto games in the crypto space, today. The main reason for this is the fact that Axie Infinity’s in-game currency, Smooth Love Potion (or SLP), can be converted into cash. Within the Axie Infinity world, the players can create a farm to create SLP and then sell it within the game.
- Plant vs Undead: For players who are not hugely into non-stop combat, Plat vs Undead is the game for them. It focuses on farming, where you can produce Light Energy, or LE, to advance further levels. Light Energy or LE is the in-game currency of the game. It can be either be converted into the official Plant vs. Undead (or PVU) tokens or can be traded in various decentralized exchanges.
- Battle of Guardians: It is the first real-time multiplayer NFT platform where players can earn with NFTs. This game developed by Unreal Engine is sci-fi-themed and involves three character types; humans, demons, and guardians. The storyline is also very exciting as it includes technology, portals, and much more.
- MetaWars: This is an exciting multiplayer sci-fi-themed game that is set in the future. It combines space exploration with combat and offers a user-controlled in-game economy. Players can also form space fleets and even own and upgrade their robots.
- DeFi Kingdom: This P2E crypto game began as a decentralized exchange. Still featuring a DEX, the game itself is now becoming globally popular. It’s essentially an NFT asset platform turned fantasy game, where players can gain liquidity by staking its in-game currency called JEWEL. It also has options for buying interactive NFT heroes within the game and selling them for a profit.
Additional Read: Top NFT & Metaverse Crypto Tokens by Market Capitalisation
How to find the best Play to Earn Games?
As it is advisable to always do your own research while choosing the right crypto token to invest in, it is equally important to conduct research while entering the GameFi sector. Below are some of the things to keep in mind while doing so.
- Decide on a goal: Are you interested in earning both NFTs and Crypto Tokens? Or just one?
- How easy is it to cash out your coins? Earning NFTs or crypto tokens is not the endgame with GameFi. To transfer the earrings the tokens have to be transferred to a decentralized exchange first. Thus, it is always important to make a note of how smooth the process is going to be, for you.
- How much should you send to get started? If you are a beginner in GameFi, analysts always recommend starting out with the basic minimum. It is more important to explore the section first before you go full in.
GameFi or P2E crypto games in general are an exciting element of the decentralized ecosystem. With their intriguing developments and attractive financial incentives, these games might just have even larger platforms to conquer and build for the crypto space. More such aborning inventions and experiments are still underway. Only time will tell whether the P2E games are here for the long-term footing or if it is just the beginning.
Disclaimer: Crypto products and NFTs are unregulated and can be highly risky. There may be no regulatory recourse for any loss from such transactions. In case you have any queries, write to [email protected].
The above information represent the independent views of Primestack Pte. Ltd, Neblio Technologies Pvt. Ltd, and/or their affiliate entities and are for informational & educational purposes only. The content, information or data provided above is not an offer, or solicitation of an offer, to invest in, or to buy or sell any interest or shares, virtual digital assets/ crypto products or securities, or to participate in any investment or trading strategy. Any statement or communication made above shall not be treated as a legal, financial, investment or tax advice by the reader. The calculations, data, risk-return formulations, performance or market capitalization indicators captured above are based on the independent data sourcing including collation of public information and/or analysis performed by analysts, advisors or employees of Primestack Pte. Ltd/ Neblio Technologies Pvt. Ltd and/or their affiliate companies and/or any third party. Past performance is not indicative of any future results. The reader(s) are hereby advised to consult their financial/ legal/ tax advisor(s) before making any investment.